Playoffs are coming – and that means it’s also time for our own own playoff competition to commence!
It’s been another fantastic year of #piamg! At the time of writing, 150 of you have entered the competition at least once – and the average number of entries is 67 with the current record standing at 76 entries in a single week.
An extraordinary 19 of you have entered every single week this season – and there will be a special reward (see below) for our 100% club. A special mention goes to the 4 of you who have yet to miss a week since we started #piamg last season (take a bow @detroit97, @jasonskint, @Jdubz78 and @spedeworthsix). Sad to say – only one of the four of them has actually won a mug so far proving that prediction really is a mugs game!
So far we’ve sent out 25 mugs to 22 different people, we’ve got one double-winner this season (@wingnut2711) and one treble winner (@grantwoolway – also known as ‘greedy’ who won 3 times in just 5 weeks). We have also had a husband and wife win in successive weeks – thus hopefully restoring peace within that household quickly!.
Rather bizarrely – of the 19 of you who have entered every week – only 4 have won a mug this season. But we have sent out a total of 13 mugs to 10 winners from the 17 people who have just missed one or two weeks across the season. So it’s almost like missing a week makes you more likely to win a mug (or perhaps winning a mug makes you more likely to miss a week). For those of a statistical bent – you are almost 3 times more likely to have won at least one mug if you missed a week than if you didn’t – and this result is statistically significant (p=0.039)!
But enough about our stats – what you all want to know if ‘How do I win the damn playoff prize?’ You want that travel mug and the ultimate bragging rights for the season! I warn you – it’s not for the fainthearted, it will require skill, stamina or a ridiculous run of good luck that will have people asking you to pick their lottery numbers.
As there is no overlap between the NIHL1 and NIHL2 playoffs this year – we have a total of 5 playoff-rounds (3 weeks of NIHL1 then 2 weeks of NIHL2). So this is a 5-week competition with about half of you being knocked out each week (did we mention it’s not easy to win!).
Firstly – sorry – but I can’t let all 150 of you enter! This competition is a ‘thanks’ to those who have entered regularly through the season. With so many entering on a pretty regular basis this season, we’ve had to keep the cutoff fairly high – so it will be set at 50% this year. That means you must have entered in at last 13 of the 26 weeks (including this week) that the normal #piamg game has run in this season so far.
However, for the 19 of you who are in my 100% group – as a special ‘you rock – thanks guys’, you will be given a bye into the second round!
This is a knockout competition – so once you are out, you are out. The full rules are below.
Note that we will continue our usual #piamg competition up to the weekend of April 8th/9th (the end of the NIHL2 regular season). This will run alongside the playoff with entries opening as usual on Wednesdays and will continue to be open to all.
So “how do I win this thing of wonder?” I hear you ask…
Round 1 (March 25-26)
Includes only the 8 games in the NIHL1 playoffs first round.
Those with 50-99% (13-25 weeks) of previous #piamg entries this season will be included
The top 21 will qualify to round 2
Round 2 (April 1-2)
Includes only the 4 games in the NIHL1 playoff semi-finals
Those with 100% (26 weeks) of previous #piamg entries this season will join the top 21 qualifiers from round 1 to make a total of 40 in this round
The top 20 will qualify to round 3 (quarter-final round)
Quarter-final Round (April 8-9)
Includes the 2 games in the NIHL1 playoff finals, and the 3 games in the NIHL2 cup final weekend (5 games total).
The top 20 from round 2 will be eligible
The top 10 will qualify to round 4 (semi-final round)
Semi-final Round (April 15-16)
Includes only the 3 games in the NIHL2 playoff semi-finals (note that Chelmsford Warriors cannot get ice time for their hom game against Cardiff Fire so this has been awarded 0-0).
The top 10 from the quarter-final round will be eligible
The top 5 will qualify to round 4 (semi-final round)
Final Round (April 15-16)
Includes only the 2 games in the NIHL2 playoff final.
The top 5 from the semi-final round will be eligible
The winner will be crowned at the end of this round.
#PIAMG #PLAYOFF rules
- The competition will run across the 5 weeks of the NIHL1 and NIHL2 South playoffs with a schedule as outlined above.
- The aim is to guess how many goals will be scored in the playoff games (and only the playoff games, except Week 3 when we are including the NIHL2 cup final weekend as well).
- In all cases, the top XX will be defined as those who are closest to the correct total. In the event of a tie, the lower guess will win/qualify for the next round*
- Each week of the competition, @482days will open entries with a tweet. This will occur at 8pm (midday) on Thursdays. You will then have the time between that tweet appearing and the puck dropping on the first game to enter. If you do not enter within that time frame you will be automatically disqualified.
- As with the normal #piamg competition, it is first come, first served for guesses. We will take entries in the order in which they appear in our twitter feed.
- Entries for the playoff round MUST include the hashtag #piamg-playoffs or #piamg-po to differentiate them from entries into the normal competition. Entries which do not include this hashtag will not be counted.
- To qualify for entry to the playoffs, you must have played at least 13 previous #piamg games this season**. Those who have entered all 26 previous #piamg weeks will be given a bye in Round 1 and will enter the competition at the Round 2 stage.
- After each weekend, we will notify those who qualified for the next round via twitter.
The decision of @482days is final in all aspects of the competition and just like the EIHA, we reserve the right to change the rules at any point in the competition!
* e.g. in round 2 if the correct total is 28 and the 20th and 21st closest guesses are 16 and 40 (both 12 away) then the person who guessed 16 will go through and the person who guessed 40 will be eliminated.
** Eligible entrants will receive a DM via twitter in the next day or so. If you are haven’t received a DM by Friday April 24th then you have not qualified***.
***If you have not qualified, you can apply for exemption to
the LMC @482days on twitter. If you can give us a convincing/amusing enough reason why we should allow you to enter, we may choose to let you! This must be applied in a public tweet (i.e. not a DM) directed at @482days and will be denied/confirmed before the start of the Round 1. The decision of @482days is final.